Today we are joined by Dr. Kevin McGinniss on Episode 22 of The Hawkin Podcast.
Dr. McGinniss is currently an Assistant Professor, Graduate Coordinator, and Director of Sport Management at Southern Connecticut State University. His previous responsibilities include President & CEO of the Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC), while also holding positions as Director of Athletics for the University of Rhode Island (URI), Mercy College, Quinnipiac University, U.S. Merchant Marine Academy, and Lehman College over a 21-year span. With more than 40 years of professional experience as an educator, author, coach, and athletic administrator, Dr. McGinniss is able to give insight on how to grow within the field. While also enlightening us on his experiences throughout his career and lending advice to the younger generation of professionals emerging into the ever-changing world of athletics.
Timestamps for this episode:
- 00:00:06 Introduction to today's episode
- 00:00:30 Who is Dr. Kevin McGinniss?
- 00:05:11 The state of performance
- 00:15:30 What does the changing path of success look like?
- 00:20:46 The future of the performance field
- 00:25:32 The advantage of being a people person
- 00:28:30 Life lessons learned through sports
- 00:35:38 How technology has shaped the physical culture of athletics
- 00:38:25 What is an emotional bank account?
- 00:41:10 It is okay to make mistakes
- 00:43:50 The importance of opportunity
- 00:46:38 Dr. Kevin McGinniss's contact info
If you are interested in learning more about Dr. McGinniss, he can be found on LinkedIn here, and reached by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.