Today we are joined by Dr. Donna Lopiano on Episode 31 of The Hawkin Podcast.
Dr. Lopiano is currently the President and founder of Sports Management Resources, a consulting firm that focuses on bringing the knowledge of experienced, expert former athletics directors to assist scholastic and collegiate athletics departments in solving growth and development challenges. Previously, she was the chief executive officer of the Women's Sports Foundation from 1992 to 2007 and focused on ensuring athletic departments throughout the nation were compliant with Title IX regulations. Prior to that, in 1975, Dr. Lopiano was the first Director of Women's Athletics at the University of Texas. Throughout her years in athletics, Lopiano has been a strong advocate and supporter of Title IX regulations. Living in a male-dominated field, Dr. Lopiano gives excellent insight into equality in athletics.
Time Stamps for Today's Episode:
- 00:07 Who is Dr. Donna Lopiano?
- 06:39 Shaping her career path
- 09:57 Hit the ground running
- 16:13 The evolution of the amateur athlete
- 21:15 What does amateur really mean?
- 27:17 The economics of college athletics
- 34:48 The college “promise”
- 39:23 Fair market value
- 46:00 What’s in store for female athletics
- 50:46 Barriers to be broken
- 54:50 How to reach Dr. Donna Lopiano